Multiple agency response to homicide

Multiple law enforcement agencies responded to a Wessington Springs residence after reports of a barricaded subject/hostage situation stemming from a fatal shooting early Sunday morning. Local county and city equipment along with fire trucks were positioned as barricades around a several-block perimeter of the crime scene. 

Court documents filed in Jerauld County Tuesday revealed additional information about a murder that took the life of Wessington Springs woman Lorraine Redmann early Sunday morning. 

According to the Probable Cause Affidavit, Mitch Caffee of Wessington Springs went to Redmann’s home to speak with his wife, Redmann’s granddaughter Katie (Kathren) Caffee, about his arrest for violation of a no contact order. Mitch was arrested for domestic simple assault against Katie on 8-31-21 and again arrested on 10-20-21 for violation of the no contact order and an additional charge of domestic simple assault. Katie had been staying at her grandmother’s residence since Mitch was released from jail on 10-21-21. 

Mitch forced his way through a locked door into Redmann’s home and immediately pushed Katie onto the couch in the living room. As she attempted to get up, Mitch pushed her down again. 

At that time, Redmann exited her bedroom located adjacent to the living room. According to the affidavit, Katie believed Redmann returned to her bedroom to retrieve a portable phone. Mitch proceeded directly to Redmann’s doorway and confronted her, following her into the bedroom. Katie heard one gun shot and when Mitch returned to the living room, he stated, “she’s (expletive) dead.” Katie noted that Mitch was holding a .40 caliber pistol and was wearing a holster on his side for the firearm.

Mitch, with firearm still in hand, then forced Katie back to her bedroom and would not allow her to leave. He told her the shooting was accidental. The court document states that Mitch claimed he is the one who told Katie to call 911.  

Katie called 911 at 3:01 a.m. stating that Mitch had shot her grandmother, still had the weapon and would not allow her to leave. The 911 dispatchers could hear Mitch and Katie arguing throughout the phone call and at one point, Mitch made a comment that he had an explosive device. 

Negotiators started speaking with Mitch on the phone and during that conversation, he stated that he had shot Redmann in the head. After continued negotiations, both Mitch and Katie exited the residence, with Mitch surrendering to law enforcement peacefully and without incident. Law enforcement and Emergency Medical Technicians entered the residence to search for any other individuals that may have been involved and at that time, confirmed Redmann was deceased. 

Mitch was arrested by DCI Special Agents on 17 counts including first-degree murder, second-degree murder, first-degree manslaughter, second-degree kidnapping, first-degree burglary, aggravated assault, aggravated assault-domestic violence and violation of contact order. 

A bond hearing was held Tuesday morning and Caffee’s $1 million cash-only bond was converted to a no bond.  

The multi-agency effort included the Jerauld County Sheriff's Office, Huron Police Department, Sanborn County Sheriff's Office, South Dakota Division of Criminal Investigation and South Dakota Highway Patrol.

Redmann’s funeral service will be held Monday November 1 at 10:30 a.m. at the Foothills Bible Fellowship Church in Wessington Springs. Visitation will be Sunday Oct. 31 from 2-4 p.m. at the Basham Funeral Chapel, also in Wessington Springs. Her death notice is published in this week's print and e-issue on PAGE FIVE