DOOR

WSVFD fireman Dick Powell examines hot spots around the source of the fire.

The Wessington Springs Volunteer Fire Department responded to a structure fire at 207 State Street North in Wessington Springs Tuesday afternoon. 

According to fire chief Jim Vavra, the blaze was caused when heat from a propane torch caused unknown material to smolder, eventually igniting the outside basement entrance on the home.   

Utilizing recently purchased air packs, firemen inspected the entire house with heat cameras to detect and extinguish any hot spots. They removed the entire door and part of the adjacent wall.

The owner of the residence was at home when the blaze ignited and was treated for smoke inhalation but thankfully, emerged without injury. 

Also on the scene of the fire were Jerauld County Ambulance and Jerauld County Sheriff Department.