First-place teams earn trip to National Competition
The Wessington Springs 4-H Range and Land teams traveled to Redfield to compete for the right to represent South Dakota at the National Land and Range Contest. The Range team placed first with Kirstie Munsen, 1st, Austin Schimke, 2nd and Kaden Wolter, 4th. The Land team placed first with Braydin LaBore, 2nd, Blake Larson, 3rd and Carter Gaikowski, 4th. Both teams will travel to Nationals next spring.
While the 2021 Rangeland and Soils Day event looked a little different this year, the annual contest still drew 4-H and FFA participants from across the state. Held on June 2, the event was split into two locations — a western South Dakota contest hosted by the Jones County Conservation District in Murdo and an eastern South Dakota contest hosted by the Spink County Conservation District in Redfield. The first place 4-H teams in each judging event from both contest locations will now advance to the National Land and Range Judging Contest in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma in May 2022.
In the Rangeland Judging event, contestants use their knowledge of soil and grassland plants to assess habitat suitability for livestock and wildlife. They also identify plants and their characteristics, determine if a certain site is meeting the management goals and recommend management practices to improve the site's functionality.
In the Land Judging event, contestants use their knowledge of soil and land to determine soil properties, recommend land treatments and fertility treatments and determine land capability class. Contestants also determine a site's suitability for homesite development including foundations, lawns, septic systems and sewage lagoons.
Contestants for each conteSt are evaluated individually, then individual scores are grouped together for a team score.
- Wessington Springs Land and Range Teams are OKC-Bound
- Women’s Best Ball and Father’s Day Tournaments Planned for this Weekend at Springs Country Club
- Foothills Rodeo Rides on
- Memorial Golf Event Kicks Off Tournament Season at Springs Country Club
- Spartans Strike Gold at Howard Wood Dakota Relays
- Support our WSHS Senior Class of 2021 -- Call or Email today!
- Late inning rallies come up short
- Ducktails & Bobbysox” Treats Audiences to a Fabulous Fifties Musical
- Older Adults Shouldn’t Delay Preventive Health Care
- 4 activities to help get you and your family outside
- Want a more meaningful career? Try working in the classroom
- What Americans need to know about traveling to Europe in 2021
- 5 tips to celebrate the bounty of the harvest season
- Make a splash and ride the waves with a trip to Arkansas
- An Affordable Type of Insurance You May Need but Probably Don’t Have
- Top Tips for Homeowners to Prep Financially for Natural Disasters
- Why Wyoming is topping travel itineraries this year
- Tips to lower stress – and budgets – getting ready for back to school
Sorry, there are no recent results for popular videos.